Michael Jackson's mother has appealed the verdict of her $40 billion wrongful death lawsuit against AEG Live.
Katherine Jackson filed new court documents in Los Angeles yesterday morning in a bid to have the jury's decision - which ruled the concert promoter was not responsible for the King of Pop's death in 2009 and was not wrong for hiring Dr. Conrad Murray to be the late singer's medical practitioner - overturned, according to gossip website TMZ.com.
It was previously revealed that the 83-year-old Jackson family matriarch was still hopeful after hearing comments made the jury following the conclusion of the five-month trial last month and her lawyer Brian Panish confirmed they were gathering information for an appeal. "She isn't throwing in the towel. We can't give up until we gather all the information. Today is another chapter," he said.
The jury decided on October 2 that AEG Live, the promoter of Michael's This Is It comeback concerts, hired Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in November 2011, but were not liable for the disgraced physician's actions that led to the "Thriller" hitmaker's death in 2009 because he was neither "unfit" nor "incompetent" when they hired him.
Conrad Murray has been released from prison.
The disgraced physician was sentenced to four years in jail for the involuntary manslaughter of Michael Jackson - who died of acute Propofol intoxication in June 2009 - but was allowed to walk free this morning after spending less than two years behind bars because of good behavior.
The 60-year-old doctor was secretly released out of a back exit of the Men's Central Jail in Los Angeles as it was believed there could be a "safety issue" because a group of Jackson fans were camped outside the Men's Central Jail in Los Angeles waiting for him. Murray's lawyer, Valerie Wass, told reporters outside the prison that her client was anxious to "hug his family," and he was planning to get his medical licenses reinstated in California, Texas and Nevada so he can resume his medical career.
"He wants to take some time and see his family. Believe me; after you've been locked up in this place for two years, it's a shock emotionally and physically," she said.
Quincy Jones is suing Michael Jackson's estate.
The music producer and close friend of the late King of Pop - who produced some of his biggest hits including "Thriller" and "Billie Jean" - is seeking $10 million from the estate and record label Sony Music Entertainment, claiming that they re-edited Michael's hit songs in order to avoid paying him royalties and production costs.
The 80-year-old music expert believes tracks he produced for the singer have been improperly edited and featured in 2009 musical documentary This Is It and a pair of Cirque du Soleil stage shows which are based on Michael's music. Quincy feels he should have received a producer credit on the 2009 film, which chronicled Michael's preparation for his stage return at The O2 in London prior to his untimely death in June 2009, and he is seeking an investigation into the estate's accounting to determine how much he is owed from the profits of the film and theater productions.
Michael Jackson has been named the highest-earning dead celebrity of the year.
The estate of the late "Thriller" singer, who died from acute Propofol intoxication in 2009, amassed $160 million in 12 months, as a result of the two successful Cirque du Soleil shows, Michael Jackson ONE and Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour, based on his back catalogue of hits. The earnings put him at the top of Forbes magazine's annual list of Top-Earning Dead Celebrities.
The King of Pop took the crown back from his close friend Elizabeth Taylor, who slipped to fourth place as her estate earned $25 million. According to the publication, Elvis Presley's estate brought in an estimated $55 million in posthumous earnings, putting him in second place. Cartoonist Charles Schulz, who created the Peanuts comic strip, moved up one spot to third place on the Forbes list - which analyses dead celebrities' earnings between June 2012 and June 2013 - after amassing $37 million. Reggae star Bob Marley rounded out to top five with $18 million.
Liberace's lover Scott Thorson claims he had a "six or seven" year romance with Michael Jackson.
The 54-year-old former partner of the legendary pianist has alleged he grew close to the "Billy Jean" hitmaker and described him as generous: "Liberace introduced me and Michael in the late 1970s. It was right around the time 'Thriller' was coming out and Michael and I became lovers. Our relationship went on for six or seven years. Michael was very generous too. He treated me well."
Wade Robson hopes his allegations against Michael Jackson will encourage other "victims" to come forward.
The choreographer filed legal documents on May 1 asking for money from the Michael Jackson Estate in compensation for childhood molestation at the hands of the late pop star - who died of acute Propofol intoxication in June 2009 - and says he wants to inspire others to speak out.
"I want to inspire other people to speak their truth. If my coming forward and speaking the truth can help, honestly, one [person] to gain courage to speak their truth and begin the healing process then that would really be more than I could ask," he told TMZ.
Speaking earlier this week, Wade said he "was scared psychologically and emotionally completely unable and unwilling to understand that it was sexual abuse. This is not a case of repressed memory. I never forgot one moment of what Michael did to me. He performed sexual acts on me and I performed sexual acts on him. It was complete manipulation and brainwashing. He would role-play and train me for these scenarios. There is no excuse for what he did to me, but he was a troubled man...The image that one presents to the world is not the whole explanation of who someone is. Michael Jackson was yes, an incredibly talented artist with an incredible gift. He was many things. And he was also a child sexual abuser."
Michael Jackson has been posthumously accused of sexual abuse.
Choreographer Wade Robson filed legal documents on May 1 asking for money from the Michael Jackson Estate in compensation for childhood molestation at the hands of the late pop star - who died of acute Propofol intoxication in June 2009 - TMZ reports.
The deadline has passed for creditors to file claims against the estate, but Wade is asking the probate court to allow him to file a late creditor's claim. The complaint has been made under seal, meaning it is not available to the public, but it is said to specifically outline the alleged abuse and contains an affidavit from Dr. David Arrendondo, a San Francisco-based child psychiatrist.
A former English child star is claiming to be the biological father of Michael Jackson's children.
Mark Lester, known for his portrayal as the title character in the 1968 musical Oliver!, has opened up to the media about believing that the sperm Jackson asked him to donate years ago went towards creating Prince Michael, Paris, and Blanket.
"After Michael asked me to donate sperm for him I completely forgot about it... I remember Michael ringing and saying, 'Oh, you don’t have any fertility difficulties do you?'Then out of the blue about a year later, he mentioned sperm donation and I agreed. Michael set it up for me to turn up to a clinic in Harley Street, London to do it. It was weird. I went in a couple of times to donate but we never talked about it ever again. It was a really strange request but while Michael was alive I never gave it another thought. I didn’t donate to get something out of it."
Read More | Daily Mail
Prince, Diana Ross and Spike Lee are among the witnesses who could be called in the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial.
The late star's mother Katherine Jackson has accused promoters AEG Live of being negligent in ignoring health concerns over her son and hiring Dr. Conrad Murray - the physician who was convicted of the involuntary manslaughter of the star following his passing in 2009 - and it has now been revealed who could take to the stand in the case. As well as the two singers and the director, Michael's ex-wife Lisa Marie Presley, his three children Prince, 16, Paris, 14, and Blanket, nine, producer Quincy Jones, choreographer Kenny Ortega and several of the "Thriller" hitmaker's siblings could be called to give evidence, ET Online reports.
However, despite his inclusion on the list, insiders predict Prince is unlikely to testify. Music blogger Dr. Funkenberry explained to the New York Post newspaper, "Prince is so far down on the witness list, he will more than likely never get called."
Michael Jackson's family has demanded that paternity evidence relating to his children be dropped from a lawsuit.
The late singer's mother Katherine Jackson - who acts as a co-legal guardian for his children Prince Michael, 17, Paris, 15 and Blanket, 10, - has filed a motion asking the judge presiding over the court case to exclude any evidence relating to their paternity.
According to legal documents, obtained by gossip website TMZ.com, Katherine claims that the jury does not need to know anything about her grandchildren's biological parentage. Budding actor and TV presenter Prince Michael and his sister Paris are believed to be the children of their father's ex-wife Debbie Rowe, while Blanket is said to have been born via a surrogate mother.
The family is suing AEG Live - who sponsored Michael's This Is It tour - for the alleged negligent hiring and supervision of Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for his role in Michael's death.
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.